Policy Analyst I - Exports
It's fun to work in a company where people truly BELIEVE in what they're doing!
We're committed to bringing passion and customer focus to the business.
The Policy Analyst I provides services to carry out the daily operations of the Export Certification Team within the Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition (CFSAN). The CFSAN Export Certification Team facilitates the international trade of FDA regulated food and cosmetics by helping industry stakeholders get the export certification required by foreign countries. There are multiple aspects to this work including the review and processing of requests for export certification, addressing industry inquiries, analyzing new requests for certification from importing countries, data collection and analysis, and brainstorming opportunities for improved service delivery.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Responsible for the integration of CNI Core Competencies into daily functions, including: commitment to integrity, knowledge / quality of work, supporting financial goals of the company, initiative / motivation, cooperation / relationships, problem analysis / discretion, accomplishing goals through organization, positive oral / written communication skills, leadership abilities, commitment to Affirmative Action, reliability / dependability, flexibility and ownership / accountability of actions taken.
- Manages export certification databases through the electronic Certificate Application Program (CAPS).
- Responds to industry inquiries for export certificates under CFSAN jurisdiction (food, cosmetics and dietary supplements) as required.
- Reviews and processes and mails export certificate applications (food, cosmetics, and nutrition products) in response to industry.
- Processes and issues certificates within 20 business days of industry requestor’s application.
- Interfaces and provides export certification support to CFSAN program offices.
- Provides guidance to industry, program offices and senior leadership regarding policies and practices as it relates to the export certificate program.
- Attends meetings involving export certificates (as required).
- Prepares, reviews, approves and maintains document files required for the lawful completion of certification activities.
- Studies proposed export / import legislation and identifies programmatic impacts.
- Analyzes and resolves export certificate issues related to Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA), certificate fees, or other problems impacting the program.
- Analyzes program operations for deficiencies and recommends viable solutions.
- Responsible for aiding in own self-development by being available and receptive to all training made available by the company.
- Plans daily activities within the guidelines of company policy, job description and supervisor’s instruction in such a way as to maximize personal output.
- Responsible for keeping own immediate work area in a neat and orderly condition to ensure safety of self and coworkers. Will report any unsafe conditions and/or practices to the appropriate supervisor and human resources. Will immediately correct any unsafe conditions to the best of own ability.
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE
Bachelor's degree preferred and up to 5 years of relevant experience, or equivalent combination of education / experience.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATION
JOB SPECIFIC KNOWLEDGE / SKILLS / ABILITIES
Exceptional customer service and relationship-building skills
Solid analytical and problem-solving skills
Ability to work independently and in a team environment
Skilled proficiency in the use of Microsoft Windows / Office programs (i.e., Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, etc.)
Experience with Tableau and Salesforce preferred
Excellent verbal and written communications skills with proficiency in proofreading and editing
Detail-oriented with solid proofreading and editing skills
Ability to coordinate efforts with others to find mutually acceptable solutions for the successful achievement of goals
Ability to organize work, set priorities and determine resource requirements
Ability to advise and assist management in accomplishing personnel management responsibilities
Ability to function as a technical expert and make decisions independently
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job. Work is primarily performed in an office environment. Regularly required to sit. Regularly required use hands to finger, handle, or feel, reach with hands and arms to handle objects and operate tools, computer, and/or controls. Required to speak and hear. Occasionally required to stand, walk and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. Exposed to general office noise with computers printers and light traffic.
If you like wild growth and working with happy, enthusiastic over-achievers, you'll enjoy your career with us!